Sunday, June 3, 2007

Spirituality and the Gospel


I can't convert, I can only explain who I am. . . If I don't understand the gospel and let its message govern my life, how then can I expect to lead others to God. If I can't understand the gospel in the context of the current cultural setting then how am I to be heard over the cultural roar. If I can't break the common perception of what a christian is -- the arrogant, ignorant, close-minded fool who believes in contradictions -- if I can't break that mold then I can't preach the gospel effectively. If people hear my message and associate it with the common perception of Christianity then I will have reinforced their perception of Christians; just another preacher telling me how to live my life.

There is a cultural difference in this area from the rest of the united states, with the exception of small communities. This state is spiritually rich. The general populace, at least those of which I have been able to observe and talk to, takes great stock in spiritual things: they have a the desire and worldview that says there is a divine presence, in whatever manifestation that is, and they want to take part in that divine presence. If you talk about a spiritual encounter, a conversion experience, even a time when you walked on water, it has more validity then if you give them reasons to believe in God or in Christs work. They already accept, or at least understand, some type of divine presence. You don't need to prove God. You need to show and demonstrate God's love, God's power, God's presence in order to be heard. However, this needs to be done in a way that isn't overbearing or forceful; that might lead to reinforcing the common perception once again. It needs to be done by living the gospel and its message.

In observing this culture, typical evangelical methods won't have the same effect. We have grown our apologetics around a rational and reasonable framework. That framework doesn't have the same weight in southern Oregon as it does in a university or the heart of L.A. This is not to say that by giving people apologetics training they aren't living out the gospel, or even to say that in preaching the gospel you can't use any type of rational argument. This is saying that the focus needs to be shifted -- shifted from giving someone a reason, to giving someone a story from your life. A story that just happens to include a Jewish guy that was born of a virgin, lived a life of service, died a criminals death, and rose from the dead. A story that brought you to the floor, to your knees, to your feet, out of bed, into bed, or wherever else you found Christ. A story that involved someone else's message, or a story that was between you and God.

These are some of my thoughts about what evangelism might look like in the area of Williams Oregon. These are some of my observations about the culture of Spirituality and what that means for the gospel. Peace and Grace.

No comments: